Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Steak Steak Steak Steak Steak and Eggs Steak

Just kidding. No eggs.

There are 2 things that come to mind when people mention Omaha:
1) Omaha Steak
2) Warren Buffet, aka the Oracle of Omaha
3) Omaha hold 'em poker

Ok. that was 3 but the poker thing was a spur of the moment insight. At any rate, on a recent trip to Omaha, with little hope of playing poker and no hope of sighting Mr. Buffet, I opted for the only attainable option: steak.

This particular steak was from the Upstream Brewing Co. in the Old Market district. It was a ribeye, grilled medium rare and encrusted with some sort of cumin-based spice rub. Maybe because I was overly hungry or maybe because I was influenced by its reputation but I thought the first few bites were rather good. I especially like the rub on the steak which had blackened on the grill and lent it a deep smoky flavour.

However, the honeymoon was over by bite number 3. The meat was visibly juicy and pink but it was also stringy and hard to cut. What's more, it was overly chewy and even the smallest pieces required quite a lot of work with the chompers before swallowing. I was halfway through the steak when I had to take a break because my jaw muscles were getting tired.

Nonetheless, if you get away from the texture, the taste of the beef was still pretty good and let's be honest, steak is always a good option in my book, any which way you cut it.

No comments: